Old 11-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Confused......need some advice

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Hey Amir,
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. To answer your question. Honestly rank doesn't mean a darn thing if it did I would have left years ago instead of staying in it for as long as I have. Anyone can go buy a black belt and say they are of Dan ranking. I don't want it that way, I want to earn it to show that I'm a serious student and ready to really start learning this art. I can do that now but there is also the perception of having a rank/belt. You can be the same person with the same skill and people will treat you differently just based on what color belt you have around your waist. It would also be kind of nice to know where I stand so to speak, how am I progressing, I guess thats one real reason for rank. Does that make any sense?
Hi

Your answer does make some sense.

Still, there are other means to get those same things:
it seems several senior Yundasha gave you the same treatment they would have given a Yundasha, and gave you a fair indication of your station.

Your Sensei may have given you feedbacks on your progress and standing even without a belt.

The only real thing a belt may help with, is getting recognition outside your dojo. Particularly if you would like to teach some day.
And the first is an absurdity, since rank is only relevant within the Dojo\organization which gave it.

Amir