Thread: Defining Aikido
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #34
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido
Re: Defining Aikido

How 'pure' does aikido have to be to still be called aikido?
(rhetorical).
If someone learned for years from O'Sensei, or from O'Sensei's uchi deshi, and was formally authorized to teach aikido, and remains true to what they were taught as best they can, I would say that they are doing aikido regardless of whom they pay or do not pay fees for recognition.
If that person's students can go to Japan to train and be recognized as doing aikido, then I think that the teacher has been succesful at teaching aikido regardless of who signed their dan certificates. When that person's students are frequently chosen as ukes when they go to Japan, or when they visit other dojos in the states, I think that person has been succesful at teaching aikido.

I am reminded of Protestants saying that Catholics aren't 'real Christians' because they regard Mary too highly, or Mahayana Buddhists saying that Theravada Buddhists aren't really Buddhists because they don't take the boddhisattva vow.

As for dojos where everyone 'takes a dive,' I have no idea; I've never been in one.

Question for Mike: given your emphasis on 'tradition,' do you consider non-aikikai organizations to be teaching aikido in any form or none at all?

-LK