View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
MM
United_States
Re: Ellis Amdur's Post on Aikido Journal

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
1. I am targeting winter as release date.
2. Tomiki strove to unite judo and aikido - -= therefore . . . . . . .
3. I'm told, by the way, that during his years as a prisoner of war in Russia, he kept his own sanity, kept the spirits of his fellow prisoners strong, by developing his solo tai-sabaki exercises. The reason I said/believe Tomiki "got it" are two-fold. The story I cited elsewhere from Hal Sharp re Tomiki throwing the ripsnorting foreign kenkusei of the Kodokan, one-by-one with one hand - after saying he was going to show them aikido. And an interview I can no longer find, where Oba, Tomiki's closest disciple came back after seeing a demo of Daito-ryu which had, I believe the waza where a number of people pin the teacher, and with a single move, he throws them off. And Tomiki said, "Oh, I can do that," got a bunch of people together and did. But apparently Tomiki didn't like to present this stuff and I do not believe that he taught it - I don't think, actually, that he believed it was germane to what he was trying to develop any more than Kano Jigoro did for judo.
4. Oh, and as for your last question - "And of Ueshiba Morihei's aikido, just how does one "do" his aikido?" - - - read your own signature quotation
Best
1. Cool!

2-3. Thanks for the info!

4. ROTFL!!! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. Point taken. I am attempting to do that which my sig quotes.

Thanks,
Mark