View Single Post
Old 09-11-2001, 06:05 PM   #59
guest1234
No, Scott, with the exception of Jim, who usually is saying Aikido does not work, the rest of us are saying it must be decent technique for 100 pounds to control 200 pounds without 200 pounds getting hurt. My technique is terrible and I'm a beginner, but 200 pounds will hit the ground. But not necessarily without damage. Fortunately, my focus is not, never has been on being attacked, so unlike most on this thread I don't really care how many attackers I can beat. I also think Aikido, even at the level I am now, will keep me from needing to worry about how many I can beat.

100 pounds hitting 200 pounds, as in karate, would need to be prettry darn good I think to make a difference.

As for the person who felt an instructor would enter competition if he thought he could win, rather than teach…all of my instructors taught for free, fees were for dojo upkeep only. The ones at my university club were paid by the university to teach four classes a week, and donated that money back to the club to use for seminars. Money is not what it is about.

I think the question should not be 'could we win' because other than in a mine-is-BIGGER way who cares, but 'why would we even want to'.