View Single Post
Old 09-10-2001, 08:26 PM   #52
Scott_in_Kansas
Irony Wrote:
Quote:
Being a 250 lbs ape, I have to say that size does matter... if your aikido is in any way lacking. There are many times that I could muscle out of things when nage is sloppy or careless. I think the size issue is nullified when aikido is done consistantly well, but I'd be afraid to go up against some one bigger than me. Even though at 6'6" and 260 lbs it would be diffucult to find someone to try it on.
If size matters...consider this!

1. The average man weighs 175 lbs.
2. The average woman weighs 115 lbs.

So you are 50% bigger than the average man. The average man is 50% bigger than the average woman.

Does this mean that a female aikidoka couldn't even stand up to a man of average size? Are female aikidoka able to defend themselves? Shouldn't good technique conquer size? My first karate instructor told me:

"A good big man will beat a good little man if all else is equal."

He also said:

"A strong body will beat a weak body. A strong technique will beat a strong body. A strong mind will beat a strong technique."

I am really not trying to be faceitous here. Bringing the thread full circle here,I'm just trying to make a point which only one or two have agreed with throughout this thread.

1. Aikido is an art, but it is a martial art. We learn fighting principles which should be able to be applied to any situation or any attacker. As a couple of posters have echoed here "We are ready for anything."

2. A skilled aikidoka who has devoted years to his art should be able to defend himself against a Mixed Martial Artist who spends most of his time lifting weights and ground fighting.

Am I wrong on these two points? Or is MMA the next super martial art? (Remember when Tae Kwon Do was called Super Karate?)

Respectfully,

Scott in Kansas