View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #34
Ellis Amdur

Re: The Ueshiba Legacy, by Mark Murray

In my view, there is a little confusion about things here. If Ueshiba Morihei's teaching was so inchoate, why did each and every one of his disciples end up with variants of the same techniques. Ueshiba Kisshomaru definitely organized a curriculum, but in reading this thread, it seems almost as if the son created modern aikido technique. Speaking for myself, my thesis of Hidden in Plain Sight was that Ueshiba was ALSO teaching the methodology of how to develop internal strength while he was teaching technique. If you read the long account of the life of Shirata Rinjiro, he describes handling challenge matches with idimi, followed by ikkyo, shihonage, atemi or nikkyo The same techniques done now. I do agree that the successors of Ueshiba Morihei got varying amounts (to nil) of the methodology he used to develop his 'aiki,' but honestly, aside from paring away many Daito-ryu techniques, the form of ueshiba's Daito-ryu,-aikibudo - aikido is largely the same. It would be worthwhile to refer back to John Driscoll's exemplary column on this.