Thread: proper seiza
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
Kent Enfield

United_States
Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro (G DiPierro) wrote:
The method used in MSR is to put the left knee down first and then the right. The hakama is folded behind each knee with the right hand as you go down onto it.
It actually depends on which line of Muso Shinden Ryu you follow. Some always go down left, then right. Some go down on the leg farthest from the kamiza first, such that it depends on where you are in the dojo, and what direction you're facing. My understanding is that the latter is the more orthodox method.
Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro (G DiPierro) wrote:
The method used in ZNKR seiteigata is to keep the feet together and squat, folding each leg of the hakama in turn quickly as you do so.
The suwarikata for seiteigata is a modification of kendo etiquette, which isn't surpring as it's iaido for kendo people. In kendo, when engaging another person, you go into sonkyo (squat) without putting your knees down. When you do sit in seiza in kendo, you put the left foot back first.
Quote:
Chris Gee (Kensai) wrote:
If I'm going into seiza, then its left then right. So I can always draw my sword even when on my way to sitting down.
If you can't draw your sword with your left knee forward, you're not much of a swordsman , though it certainly makes the associated hip twist less natural. Personally, I find the left knee forward more of a hinderance on noto rather than batto.

Kentokuseisei