View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: For The Good Of The Many, Or The Good Of The One?

Quote:
Edward Frederick (cbrf4zr2) wrote:
This is what we had done for 3 years or so, but for some reason lately this student keeps insisting on the having split level training area. The area where the mats would be would allow for a 8' x 40' training aea as opposed to a 20' x 40' training area for one student and his partner(s).

The Dojo Cho does accommodate the student's wishes on the nights that he teaches. however, has never explicitly directed me one way or the other even when I have metioned the dilemna to him.

What would you do?
I guess I am a little disoriented by the whole situation which sounds very dysfunctional to me.

If the Dojo Cho accommodates the student, I don't see how you cannot also.

If you feel strongly that there is a big safety problem in this accomodation, I think you have to meet with your dojo-cho, communicate your concerns and describe the injuries you have seen like you did here, discuss the problem it presents in exposing him and the dojo to legal liability, and discuss possible solutions. You could ask him does he know why the student is insisting on this new arrangement, etc. teachers should feel free to talk with each other.

communication is key in dojo just like any other organization.

best,

Craig

Houston Ki Society