View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #21
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Morihei Ueshiba: Untranslatable Words

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
The feeling of Aikido can be translated through training.
I practice for some 18 years now. And for me aikidō allways has been a certain feeling. Practice created this certain feeling within me. And this feeling again created "my" aikidō and gave form to my training.
(When Endo sensei teaches he very seldom uses just "ki", but mostly uses "ki-mochi" / 気持ち. Which means "feeling".)

Over the time I experienced that there exist quite different feelings of aikidō as a result of different ways of understanding what aikidō is or should be. And as a result of quite different ways or types of training. So a certain feeling only indicates a certain way of aikidō. Whether it is the way Ueshiba meant and taught can not be derived from that.

For this reason I found it so important to more and more be able to connect teh words of Ueshiba to specific ways of training. To experience that sayings like "the connection of heaven and earth" are not something vague, esoteric, spiritual but are certain ways of practice. Evoking a certain feeling. A certain feeling which is similar to certain ways of doing aikidō. But not to others.