View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #20
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Ueno Chimp Rolls

Hi Carsten,

I am not often described as "kind" but I will try to explain my understanding.

If we think of our mid body structure as a Roman numeral one, we can imagine our shoulders as the upper bar of the one, the lower bar as our hips, and the vertical bar as our spine. An "Aikido" roll is one that crosses the vertical bar. The "normal" aikido roll is one that crosses from the right or left point on the upper horizontal bar to the opposite point on the lower horizontal bar, crossing the vertical bar somewhere in the middle.

The Ueno chimp/parkour roll starts the crossing of the vertical bar below the upper horizontal bar and crosses lower than the middle point of the vertical bar.

The Russian roll does not cross the vertical bar at all. It crosses at the top on the upper horizontal bar, then comes down the opposite side bypassing the spine/vertical bar in its entirety. On the video, Kadochnikov demonstrates by holding a stick to a guy's back. First he holds it diagonally, from the right shoulder to the left hip. He is showing how NOT to do it. Then he holds the stick horizontally across the shoulders and then vertically down the left side of the guy's back. This is the Russian roll, very different to Aikido.