View Single Post
Old 07-25-2001, 11:23 PM   #24
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I am in total agreement with Jim on this one. Falling into self delusion brought about by lack of self critique is a serious problem. We are after all a Budo not a cult.

As Budoka we are learning to deal with agression not just by other Aikidoka. The question on how we can deal with a person who emphasizes this in their training is a valid one and finding the holes in our own training is part of the process.

Let's face it - the average Aikidoka does not train for violent confrontation, we have compliant Uke, we hide behind a false sense of moral superiority, and talk/write way more than we should.

On the other hand I know of several Aikidoka who train and compete in full contact PK sports and I have done a little bit myself. These people tend to agree with me when I say I will put up a well trained Aikidoka against a Karateka any day. The trick is to deal with the opponent based on your strengths not his. Most who train in Karate have their own set of limitations.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim23
I find it funny (sad actually) that aikidokists hate when someone dares to be critical of an aspect of aikido or low standards. We are critical in most other areas in life, but not here!

I train in aikido, but am critical always. The day I become overconfident, I'll quit.

Aikido is great. Most of it. Not all. I've come across some very stupid logic from some pretty senior people.

Jim23

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido