View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #25
AikiTao
United_States
Re: How to deal with aggressive, non-compliant attackers? And discussion on atemi.

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Logan,
This video is imo garbage.The guy with the hakama against low ranked opponents does not use any skills in aikido/judo or karate.He struggles against the opposition.His posture is all over the place.Words fail me for once.Cheers, Joe.
How, then, do you apply specific Aikido techniques, especially wristlocks, without struggle? I have no doubt he could've been a little smoother in technique but honestly, when you're applying a wristlock and the only way to avoid them, especially if you know Aikido, is through subtle movements, how can you not struggle with that? If you have someone who is super flinchy and resistant and won't let you get anything, you may have to wrestle a technique or two in. I'm sure there's room for improvement but at least there out there putting it on the mat and testing their stuff out

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
Well, there's (at least) 2 categories of "resistance."

1. Basic/passive resistance, where uke uses a strong, resilient body to make it hard for you to put him down. He'll go, but he'll make you work.
2. Active resistance, where not only does uke not want to go down, he is looking to make YOU the uke. He should succeed in pinning/throwing you around half the time if your skill levels etc are matched. So if you aren't wasting your time beating up on someone who can't challenge you, you should be losing a lot of the time. By losing I don't mean failing to get a good throw-- I mean being thrown.

Anyway the video had some fun points like those edited bits at the beginning. But it is basically showing number 1 above, not number 2. So I do appreciate it, but I think it could go further.
Uke really should have felt free to strike toward the face at 2:26 for instance. (They were standing around within punching ma-ai, clearly thinking about the hakama guy's next throw/pin attempt)

BTW, if one guy is dressed like he is senior to the other people, I guess they wouldn't show #2, would they?
I don't think his students were actively looking for techniques as much out of concern for themselves. If you watch the full vids, you can see that they do try techniques but I haven't really seen anyone put him in anything. Maybe they aren't being fully committed. Either way, the video was to serve a point. And I appreciate the points you made. Maybe it wasn't full resistance but it's better than being compliant just for the sake of making sensei look good. I love how you brought up that they were in punching distance, though. Anyone on the streets is more than likely going to throw a strike if both their wrists aren't tied up or if they aren't in the clinch. That's why I think you have to be decisive in any sort of lock and not try to fight it out too much but still, it's a good start.

Anyways, back on topic. Me and my buddy were boxing the other day. We decided to do a drill where he was just striking (his style is primarily boxing) and I was defending. The whole time I was looking to tenkan and get to his side but if you don't have someone overly committed or someone who has good footwork, it's next to impossible for me. I was also gonna try to irimi and tie up but even then, thats difficult when they're throwing straights.

It's easy to tenkan off-line and avoid a simple, narrow sword cut or shomenuchi. But when you have someone going down a WIDE line because they're throwing multiple strikes, what's an alternative to getting control? All I could see was opening for strikes that'd maybe stun him, then I could rush in.