View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #152
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: To bow or not to bow

I know of several different styles of bowing, particular to different styles of martial arts. I think the common thread between them is bowing is a [formal] greeting that acknowledges the other. This aspect of etiquette exists in most cultures. The salutation is a derivation of showing an empty hand, shaking hands more informal. The term "see you" is a derivation of one party acknowledging the presence of the other. To "meet" was to describe a confrontation of two parties. The act of acknowledgement is not as relevant as the intention behind the action.

When I attend Catholic mass, I do not take communion because I am not Catholic. However, If I chose to take communion, no one would stop me because only I know that I am not Catholic. In this sense, I must understand why I should abstain from taking communion and then stand behind my intention to abstain from communion because it is not right for me. I do not advocate that we should blindly do what the rest of the herd does. Bowing because others bow is how we start our training. As we train the act should become more than an act, it should also reflect our intention. We can replace the [bowing] act with another act of acknowledgement, but we need to demonstrate our intention to respect our partner.

Many bad people hide their intentions behind a mask of courtesy. Bowing is one of those acts that makes students choose to either hide their true feelings behind an act, or become the act. Eventually you will either see through the false act or the student will internalize its meeting. Its not that difficult to see through false actions. Ever hear someone laugh falsely at one of your jokes?

Etiquette is not that difficult to follow. It actually makes more sense as you train because good etiquette has purpose and experience illuminates purpose.