View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #26
Bernd Lehnen
Germany
Re: Am I Really Practicing Budo?

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Budo is really not about changing the body, it's about changing the spirit. Its just like any other do in that regard - repetitive practice of technique to yield a change of the self to become a part of the essence of the ryu. In budo it is often but not exclusively through movement that one expresses the character or the ryu. The purpose of aiki is not to accomplish physical tasks but it is through a type of movement that one can be observed to embody the concept of aiki.

And like I said, there is something else that is done to a fighting art to get budo. It's something that makes them worth continuing to do after the fighting skills are obsolete. That's why there is no European budo. I don't believe Chinese arts are quite the same as budo either because they are not rooted as fighting systems but rather as civilian or religious systems.
Hi Cliff,
That's what they tell you nowadays and that's why you will find so few really capable of making the choice.

Besides you may have missed the point, Jon was making.

IMO, Budo comes into play after you had changed body and mind to a considerable degree. As long as your'e 'helpless, how can you think to be involved in budo? Budo will tell you how to do what you already have been able to.

Ah, and the Europeans didn't need budo, never did, even to prosper in the far east, although they had the means to see and appreciate its possible values.
So they welcomed it.

There is a lot of myth and marketing out there, but if you get to the core…..

Best,
Bernd