View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #19
BKimpel
Tip # 1:

Correctly answers are more valuable than quick answer.

A senior student was teaching the class (as our sensei was away), and one of the students asked, "How would you block a nunchaku". The senior student instantly replied, "the same way you block a yokomenuchi strike", logically concluding that a circular strike is a circular strike.

Well…the student just happen to have made faux-nunchaku out of two paper towel rolls and some string and asked the senior student to demonstrate

Of course when the senior student cut deep into uke's swing the one half of the nunchaku stopped (as in yokomenuchi), but the other half swung even faster and smacked him right in the temple.

Moral of the story:

If you don't know something say "Good question…lets take some time next class and figure it out -- we've got a lot to cover this class" buying you some time to figure it out before you make a fool of yourself. Maybe even get a little chalk board or white board for students to ask questions that you will address next class -- then you have a heads up to think about it and they don't get forgotten.

While some might disagree with me and argue that a sensei can be "honest" with his students and doesn't need to be all knowing to his/her students -- students have a trust in their sensei/teachers. If the teacher demonstrates too many "oops, that didn't work" and "don't do what I just did", students begin to lose confidence in their teacher (and then they begin to lose confidence in their own ability because they are learning from you).

Tip # 2:

Already stated, but needs to be emphasized -- talk less, do more.

We always find ourselves explaining verbally what can better be explained visually (i.e. they see it), or Kinesthetically (i.e. they feel it).

Just basic educational tips -- not specific to Aikido, martial arts.

Bruce

Bruce Kimpel