View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #25
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Re: Training when you can't train (injured newbie)?

Quote:
Karolina Owczarzak wrote: View Post
It's great that you were able to go back to class already!
Thank you, Karolina. I'm very encouraged. My shoulder wasn't even sore the next day. So far, so good.

The next milestone is to be able to roll and fall. I'm being very careful and conservative, because if all goes well (no setbacks from rushing or arrogance), I should be able to participate in a seminar at our dojo with Robert Nadeau Shihan near the end of July. (Where's a crossing-your-fingers emoticon when you need one?)

Quote:
Karolina Owczarzak wrote: View Post
If you still want some low-impact training ideas for outside the class, something that we've been doing recently in my dojo might be helpful. Our Sensei had us do all the normal standing aiki taiso (irimi tenkan, mawari, eight-direction exercise, etc.) with our eyes closed. Very challenging! At least for me, because I have no sense of balance to speak of...

I've been thinking for a while that doing some exercises, and even techniques, with eyes closed might be interesting; but it was shocking to find to what extent it does really change your perception. For me, at least, it was much easier to focus and feel my center and my position in space when not distracted by visual input.
That's a great idea. And yes, thank you, I'm very interested in any additional training ideas.

Your suggestion gave me another thing to try, too, as I was walking to the barn after first reading your post: Walking with my eyes closed. I tried 6 steps, then look (reality check, correct trajectory, notice obstacles), another 6 steps, and so on. So there's another idea that could be slipped into normal daily life (my normal day includes walking to/from the barn at least twice).

Probably any balance ball exercises would be interesting without visual input, too.

Thank you again.

Linda

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba