View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 AM   #34
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is working with strong-gripped, "static grabs" in your aikido

One last thought for tonight.

I wonder how many people here who commented negatively (or positively) have tried a systematic approach to training consisting of moving slowly and precisely and learning form without strong static grabs for a few months (from a teacher who trains and teaches this way) and compared their results to the systematic approach of learning form with strong static grabs?

Daren, I greatly respect your attempts to elucidate the logic behind static training to me. Almost every other disagreeing comment here has been an appeal to authority instead of an analysis of the discussion points I brought up, so thanks for that.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
I'm sure that some of this is either heresy or fluffy rubbish to many. In which case ignore it. My post is really just to say think about why static practice exists.
According to the poll 80% take your point of view, so it would be my position that is more likely to be dismissed as heresy or fluffy rubbish.

After all, I do live and train in Santa Cruz, CA.

Last edited by tarik : 03-31-2007 at 12:36 AM.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."