View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
What do you think?

This thread is in E-Budo aw well, but I wanted to get a take on it from the folks in this forum.

I had a conversation with my sensei the other day regarding Ueshiba Morihei Sensei and his relationship with Takeda Sokaku Sensei, particularly the falling apart aspect. At the height of Ueshiba Morihei Sensei's training in Daito Ryu, he received the highest ranking possible and if I am not mistaken, Takeda Sokaku Sensei was thinking of making him the next headmaster of that art (I could be wrong and if I am please bear with me). Apparently around this time, Ueshiba Morihei Sensei started to create his own style and started teaching it calling it Aikido. That's when Takeda Sokaku Sensei got pissed.

My question is…do you think that Takeda Sokaku Sensei awarded the Menkyo Kaiden to Hisa Sensei, just to prove a point or to spite Ueshiba Morihei Sensei?

If you look at the time frames in terms of training, Ueshiba Morihei Sensei had close to 22 years of training with Takeda Sokaku Sensei (not back to back, but over a period of time) where as Hisa Takuma Sensei studied for 3 years. He studied first under Ueshiba Morihei Sensei and then, in 1936, directly under Takeda Sokaku Sensei. Hisa Takuma Sensei then received the Kyoju Dairi in 1937 from Takeda Sokaku Sensei and eventually awarded Menkyo Kaiden in March 1939.

This is not an attempt to downplay the technical abilities of the individuals (both were very skilled). Just curious on some thoughts.