View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #91
"Kai Lynn"
IP Hash: 36eb11a7
Anonymous User
Re: On being Female in an Aikido Dojo

Hello everyone,

I'm the original poster for this topic. I want to thank you for all the advice and comments you gave me. Over the last three months, we have had some subtle changes at the dojo which has impacted my life greatly.

First, I have found help. Although I'm not comfortable talking to our Sensei, one of his blackbelts has been a great help to me. He's been helping me with my ukemi a little at a time. He's become the person I ask a lot of questions to; mainly because I don't feel he is going to belittle me for asking.

Secondly, a female dan has returned. She's brightened up the dojo and is a real leader to the younger girls, especially myself. She's been helping me work on koshi and other techinques that she feels take advantage of a female's build. My boyfriend is a bit jealous- something that made me laugh so hard! The concept of a male feeling excluded in a dojo by females is almost laudable.

Finally, I have been called up for ukemi a lot more or the last month and a half. My boyfriend got sick for two weeks and I got called up in his place. Even since he's returned I have noticed I still get called up. I also feel better about my ukemi- especially my breakfalls.

Thanks for all your help.