Thread: Cross-Training
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002, 07:13 PM   #12
cdwright
Dojo: Yorkville Aikido
Re: Cross-Training

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnH
I was wondering how many of you cross-trained in other arts. I have spent a little time in American Karate and what we called Korean Tae Kwon Do. It was really a combined martial art with its base in TKD. It also included elements of Spetsnaz (a Russian art, I think), Jujutsu, and Aikido. Having not studied any of these other arts I could not tell if my instructor was being true to these systems or not. I could not have cared less either, I had a good time and it was what I was looking for at the time, very technique and practicality driven.
That experience got me interested in Aikido. Now that I have studied Aikido for a little while, I think my teacher either had very little experience in Aikido or practiced a very different style than what I have since been exposed to. But that's neither here nor there.

My point is that I found Aikido through another art. Does anyone else have a similar story? Or a completely different story that involves cross-training?
Also, Does anyone here cross-train in Aikido and Capoeira? Capoeira looks like loads of fun and a great work out. I would especially love to hear a response from any Aikidoka/Capoeirista.

Thanks
John

Crosstraining is a great idea. Bruce Lee believed heavily in it. How do you defend against a kick unless you know how one is thrown? To quote Van Damme in Bloodsport(I KNOW it is cheesy but true) "Use any technique that works, never limit yourself to one style, to keep an open mind"

My "style" is not the same as your "style", it works for me. My sensei's sensei said to him during a test: "Alright, you've shown me what I have taught you. Now, show me something that is yours."