View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 AM   #303
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Why can't you see throught your PC blinders. After Fort Hood, I'd think you would.
Oh, fer cryin' out loud. Now you're making it look like Alejandro was right about you just hating Islam. The guy at Fort Hood was literally certifiable, and if extreme religiosity makes a deluded schizophrenic more likely to to on a rampage, it's not even close to limited to Islam. Remember that guy who killed the women in the gym? Motivated by Christianity. Likewise Timothy McVeigh, the guy who shot all of those little Amish girls, and the Virginia Tech shooter.

Quote:
A woman's right to train in a pluralistic dojo is being adversely affected and you'd rather discriminate against here than someone who has unreasonable expectations.
As long as the RR guy takes most of the lost training on himself, you shouldn't complain so loudly. He's losing a hell of a lot more training due to his handicap than you are.

Quote:
...read through the previous postings by some of the folks who live in Islamic countries. They do NOT accomodate those who want mixed training, one of the previous postes even said that. But that's okay?
...That would be because they're the MAJORITY there. No, I don't think it's ok. At all. I also don't think cutting off people's heads with dull knives is ok, and I'm not going to start doing it just because they are.

Quote:
But I'm saying that we should only accomodate to the extent that it does not effect other people's training.
I would only agree to the extent that we should accomodate people with RR's whose problems do not affect other people's training any further than any other problematic, but accommodated, social issue (such as stinkiness) does. Sometimes the guy is so stinky that you sit out rather than train with him. Should we kick him off the mat? Sometimes the guy or gal is so out of shape that he or she has to stand aside for a moment, and nobody gets to train with him or her when that happens. Should we kick them off the mat?

Quote:
It's only discrimination if you don't accomodate the person with religious restrictions. BUT those accomodations must be REASONABLE.
What we're trying to hash out here, I guess, is just what exactly "reasonable" means in this case.