View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #278
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Thanks for the reply Dan
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
The summation is where we differ. In fact I think Aikido itself has demonstrably proven that just letting kokyu and ki *happen* through training is a demonstrable failure. In and of itself it is and should be a revelatory statement in the community that the existing methodologies have failed to produce the unusual power that kokyu and ki are known for on any consistent basis. Therefore just waiting around to experience it, -much more to actually learn it- through a training paradigm that statistically fails to produce it, is not much of viable strategy.
But how do you know his training paradigm fails to produce it? What is that training he is talking about? What if it's extensive solo training to develop the saika tanden (NB: "Saika" = kotodama "seika")? What if it is pair-work that you haven't seen before?

Quote:
What makes matters worse is that now, on an international stage and with worldwide communication, there is an increasing number of teachers getting out and experiencing real kokyu and ki from many different sources that...surprise.....actually had a specific training model for kokyu and ki. AND as it turns out those methods are well established and were known by the arts founder and many others in the Asian arts.
And yet it appears that Osensei had a 100% failure rate for passing on these skills after the war, at a time when he purposely went to Iwama to establish his own art.

Quote:
I understand that is not a very welcomed nor comforting revelation for many teachers, but resisting something that is well known and now being demonstrated consistently on world stage to the arts teachers and students it is not very wise strategy either. In the end, it will make those at the very top look like they are engaging in a very transparent protectionism.
Who is resisting here? If something comes along threatening one's art, that thing should be investigated and if it is truly better, then it should be incorporated. The head-in-the-sand approach is a poor way to protect a training model. I'm certainly not disagreeing with that and you may have noticed that I've been one of the people telling people who argue with you to try it out.

Regards
Carl