View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #24
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Koichi Tohei Sensei has passed away

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
Dear Joe,

In rereading your eloquent and compassionate defense of Tohei
Sensei (one that is totally unnecessary as his major successes and accomplishments speak for themselves),I reread mine and find them quite similar. Perhaps the apparent disconnect with the usual platitudes and bonhomie spewed by those who had no direct, or even indirect contact with Tohei Sensei, encourages such individuals to take the easy way out and jump on the wagon of conformity and good manners and form, what. This too is human, and I can accept this as well as the criticism I anticipated when I wrote my post.

In all my dealings and writings on this, and other publications, I strive to be fair and balanced in my treatment of the subject matter. If I am conjecturing, I will admit to doing so. If not, you, and any other person reading and judging, may rest assured that, especially in this case, I speak from first hand, and repeated experiences with the man, and the consequences of his behavior and the aftermath.

I have no need nor desire to denigrate the singular and amazing accomplishments of Tohei Sensei, and believe that I do give due credit to his incomparable and distinct stamp on the direction and popularity of post war Aikido. Yet, if the desire to rush to judgment is felt strongly, then nothing less than complete and competent due diligence should be excercised in getting the facts straight, and the full impact of Tohei Sensei's influence be examined.

I realize that it is politically correct to eulogize compassionately and to wax eloquent about someone soon after their demise. I felt that it was my place to present a more sanguine and honest accounting of first hand experience amidst the torrent of well wishers who had no contact, direct or indirect with the man, and continue to place him on pedestals and into halls of honor. That is their choice. I made mine.

The Aikido world, and the Aikikai, owe Koichi Tohei Sensei a debt of ongaeshi that may never be repaid. I see no current attempt to try to do so. Nonetheless, we also owe him and his legacy careful scrutiny and honest research before worshipping or deifying him further.

in oneness,
Dear Francis,
May I say that I do not place any credence on putting people on pedestals?To honour the works of any person be he/she a soldier , sailor , tinker .tailor is admirable if the person has achieved and
done deeds which have benefitted humanity.As I stated earlier I never met Tohei Sensei.I am sure you would agree that even the best person can have a darker side.I do not mind anyone from giving a honest appraisal warts and all of anybody.All I was saying [and by the way I was not criticising you in any way] I was simply stating Tohei Sensei [as you and I both agree}
that the aikido community including the Aikiikai Foundation were/are indebted to him.
As you also state we rarely focus on someones negative aspects particularly when they have just passed on.I do not think your comments were in any way malicious or you painted a negative picture of Tohei Sensei character wise.In my view Tohei Sensei
rather than being put on a pedestal and treated as a godlike figure, simply was like everyone else a mere human with frailties.I guess you could say we both agree that despite these flaws Tohei Sensei's legacy and achievements were extraordinary.
Yours Sincerely, Joe.