View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: XX's and OO's from Atlanta

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
With a little more time to digest and the opportunity to discuss some details...

First, the definition of aiki around which we are consolidating requires internal power. Internal power defined as stability derived from dueling opposing spirals (suspended tension) which creates a natural potential/kinetic movement of power. Intent is what creates the stability and power. As a first step, we are working on generating intent. These are almost wholly individual exercises with a partner simply providing feedback to the level of success the exercises is accomplishing.

In addition to this focus, we are then also working to implement this structure on contact with our partner in paired exercises. Initially, this is simply a different "feeling" but should eventually result in kuzushi on contact. This is the first step of aiki as I am now moving from unification within my body to unification that affects another body. I believe this was the instruction discussed by Kuriowa Sensei in his reference to "kihon waza" - that is, "that which should exists in all techniques."

The third focus should be the expression of waza with a partner. This expression should occur naturally and respective of your partner's response. As a comment, at this juncture uke inherits the responsibility to help manifest kata; that is, uke responds appropriately to help shape the kata.

We're going plug away for a while... We need to do some re-conditioning. Aiki is not a four-legged animal under this model. Kata is not what drives movement under this model. "Grounding" is not the method of stability under this model. These are all [more] common aikido methodologies that are not part of the model. I am not interested in debating how good they are, but we need to give them up in order to embrace the aiki model Dan shares. Guess it's time to empty the cup...

'll let you know how it turns out...
A few points of clarification based on some comments I have received...

Internal power is not aiki, but internal power is part of aiki. In my first paragraph I misspoke and implied internal power is spirals in opposition; this is a conflation of concepts. Rather, internal power is a stability around a pull and return of [many] forces in opposition (Chinese hand cuffs). Aiki is the manipulation of that stability around a point using dualing opposing spirals. Also, a very important typo; "dueling" should be "dualing" as not fighting each other but parity in movement. But that is not a word, hence the spell correction. Intent being a key component of this conflation. My conflation was more in an effort to relay the totality of importance "intent" has on internal stability training, rather than to specifically discuss some of the smaller pieces we work on.

The specific type of kuzushi we experience is not mechanical, it is sensory.

Thanks for the comments. It's tough to relate this information because in many respects, some of the concepts in internal training are close, but not, what we have previously been exposed to in aikido. My last paragraph was intended to start a small collection of points of contrast with popular aikido concepts associated with power. I am impressed and appreciative of the wealth of information that has come from looking more closely at subjects we often do not discuss in detail.

Sorry for the confusion...

Jon Reading