View Single Post
Old 02-03-2002, 12:18 PM   #64
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Kenshin75
Sorry about that, I didnt mean for it to sound like I was saying that all Cops are aikidoka running around. Its just that I have a couple friends ( CHP, SDHD ),family, and The man who fueled my love for the art many years ago( even though I havent been able to train ) was a Riverside Sheriff. Plus I am Taking post certified police classes at the moment. and even though.. What they learn may not look as pretty, It seams that some aikidoka fail to realize that what we practice in the dojo is "Idealized".

As Far as distance goes... Your right... Its tough to maintain it...

The question I think the man was posting was more about defending against a boxer while sparring in a controled environment ( assumeing its a friend of his )...
And I would say... It would be tough. In that type of setting its his game... But on the street( yes Ive been in my share of fights in my younger years, not to mention been around some resently, booze at big partys sometimes does that.. )And I have yet to see anyone who is intent on knocking your block off, take the time to bob and weave, jab, jab cross.. type of stuff...

Anyhow,.. I Enjoyed the link to MacYoung though...

respectfully....
We make the same points:

1) Many people don't seem to realize that the dojo practice is idealized.
Because its idealized and because we try to get it just this perfect, that means we'll actually have a better chance of having a working technique in real circumstances.
Experimentation outside the dojo (with friends) and in this respect the beginners (people who just joined) are of great aid.
Outside the dojo, no matter how ugly your iriminage is, and if it ends up with a headlock and you dragging someone and punching them in the ear... it has worked perfectly.

2) Aikido is not about playing games or competition.
In a ring, you both start with your guard up.
In real life, the attacker must first bring his hands that high and close distance without arousing suspicion.
Then there's the whole "fence" thing taught by many reality self-defense instructors, which in its physical manifestation awfully resembles IKKYO-UNDO.
Many real life attacks do in fact look like shomen, yokomen attacks (only faster), due to the andrenaline rush affecting the other person AS WELL, as they lose their fine motor skills and get tunnel vision.

Last edited by shihonage : 02-03-2002 at 02:07 PM.