Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: Arm locks... really???????

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
An interesting real-life situation, well-documented, that might interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX9QnrZtfc

For one-on-one, unarmed violence, i'd favour a strangle: "There are strong arms and strong legs - but no strong necks.".
If somebody's asleep, you've controlled them - safely, and efficiently; with jointlocks, even if you control them, or break their joint, they might still struggle - and no matter what you're on, or how strong you are, physiologically, you can't resist a strangle.
First off the guy was drunk and uncoordinated. the takedown was good but really dangerous if you don't know if the guy is armed. that's just my personal take on things, I don't want to go to the ground with the other guy even in a one on one, but them I'm 60 so perhaps that plays a role. i also train sometimes with dull blades and know how fast they can be accessed. Being on top of someone means controlling their hands at all times whilst ensuring they don't bite your face off!
Yes, chokes work but they are potential law suits and they can be misjudged especially with someone on drugs or very hyped up.
i'm reminded of something Paul Vunak once said upon being asked what was the most powerful technique he knew, "A Tai Chi throw", then after a pause, "in the direction of a moving car".
Situational awareness to me means using anything and everything as a weapon or a shield. In confined environments foot traps and bumps into the wall and tables resulting in sprains or contusions allowing for escape are preferable to tying yourself up with arm locks or chokes IMHO.
I appreciated the way the guy in the video remained calm in the face of "the verbals" but there was never any real intent in the assailant, so it made everything a bit easier.

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.