View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Weapons in Aikido

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote: View Post
Lars and Phi, may I suggest that the difference in opinion you two have might have to do with how long you both have practised?

I used to think like Lars and be very content with just learning what my teacher and my teachers teacher were teaching me.

But nowadays I'm much more self-directed in my practice, my teacher (and my dojomates, and other people when I go to seminars) of course give valuable feedback, but the problems I work on are questions I come up with by myself.

I've had the same change happen in the other things I'm studying in my life, so I think to some extent it's just a natural progression in learning.

Pauliina
Hi Paulina and Phi

I agree that with time we change our focus in training, but since we are also gradually becoming more and more responsible in relation to new students, becoming rolemodels so to speak, we have to maintain a knowlegde of the beginners mind in order to progress and to understand our junior training partners.

Itīs said many times before that a beginners frame of mind is the best for learning, and nomatter how stereotype this may sound, itīs the truth.
So instead of relying on our own abilities, our own "unique" ideas, we are better off trusting our seniors and those who came before them as a foundation or general framework for our practise.
Without this framework no progression is really possible.
Offcourse we can wander off and try out different ideas, but they shouldnīt become be the basis of what we teach the beginners.

I believe in our western hemissphere we tend to rely too much on our individual personalities and personal gain when we practise.
I prefer the Japanese approach where students are not allowed to ask too many questions.. For a westener this is a huge challenge, Iīve been there, and I have to admit it changed my concepts of learning and teaching considerably, so no, I donīt think it is merely a progression of learning because even the most
advanced students fall from grace when they place too much trust in their personal achievements and as a consequence become slacking.

Peace
Lars