View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: Student Responsibility

Hi all,

in our dojo, luckily the cleaning is done by someone contracted by the administration (it belongs to an educational complex), and I'm very happy about it. So there is NO student responsibility for cleaning

What is most important in my opinion, and I think most of the students realise it although no one mentions it explicitly, is continuity both in payments (we need to cover the rent of the place) and in practice. We are not many, only sixteen, but everyone is quite regular. So the teacher has planning security.

There are lots of other unspoken responsibilities, and I think most students are aware of them, like:
- commitment to learning, including going to seminars, memorising Japanese words, etiquette etc.
- punctuality (sometimes difficult to arrange with work and family, but done as far as possible)
- willingness to share experience with all students
- respect of the other students and the teacher
- taking up voluntarily any upcoming dojo chores (distributing flyers, helping out at seminars, administration, assisting during childrens' lesson....)

Here in Belgium, nearly all dojos are non-profit. So every student knows that the teacher spends a lot of his time for us, with no other reward than seeing us progressing, and I think that the absence of any "value for money" approach also contributes a lot to the sense of responsibility. You wouldn't want to disappoint someone who invests his time and energy in you without expecting any remuneration.

Best regards,

Eva