View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: On Civility, Political Correctness, Honesty, and Frankness

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Radio TÚlÚvision Libre des Mille Collines. No sticks and stones involved. Nothing but words over the radio. Nothing but words.
Mary:

Do you think that it is fair to say that sticks and stones, and machetes, guns, gasoline, etc. were responsible for those massacres? Or, would you like to claim that words caused the deaths of those unfortunate people. I would call your post sophistry. This is a common tact that I see in people advocating for a more PC kind of speaking environment. I would support my claim by asking you to provide me with statistics that displays cause of death as words.... Let us not forget that this type of hatred was spewed on the radio during Nazi Germany. There are wonderful accounts of people who did not listen to the words and put their lives at stake in saving Jews from the holocaust. One of the hallmarks of the Nuremberg trials was the idea that one is held accountable for one's acts and did not allow people to absolve responsibility for actions based upon the words of others. In the Unites States, speech is free; what you do with that speech can become quite costly.

Marc Abrams