View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #1671
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Demetrio, good to see you posting!
Thanks, Kevin.

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the things we learn in aikido do not make sense on the battlefield today. I think alot of what we do in aikido does make sense provided that we understand our environment and what it is that we need to do in it. I personally feel my training in aikido has provided some relevance.
Well, I was exaggerating a bit.

I agree with you regarding aikido has sound principles (like many other arts) useful and relevant but, this "samurai did this 300 years ago, therefore I'm validated/I can deliver" is totally nonsense because:

a) samurai did not practise aikido.
b) what some guy did in a feudal era battlefield to survive/get the job done has zero relevance to what one is able to do if shtf.
c) and the most important, imo: external validation means nothing because doesn't reflect who you are but how you are perceived.

@Dave

Very common techniques to many styles of wrestling and h2h combatives, performed on a non resisting opponent means nothing to me as "aikido is useful in modern combat". And if what you see in that clip is way harder than what you do and think uke is being somewhat "abused", I don't know what to say.