Thread: To Live to Die
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
spin13
Japan
Re: To Live to Die

The context is such, taken from the subtitles:

MK: Will you tell me... ...what is the true Way of the Warrior?

OI: The true Way of the Warrior is... ...to live to die.

MK: "To live to die."

When OI says the above line, there is a pause between both the words he speaks and the subtitles. When he says the "...to live to die" part, it sounds like "shomo-tekido-gotudoso" (though the third part is somewhat unclear to me as he speaks far too fast) as in show-mow-tay-key-dough-go-to-dough-so. MK repeats only "shomo-tekido." I'm sure that's an improper pronunciation guide, but I'm not sure how to through in accents and such, so its each word as you would pronounce it in an English sentence.

I hope this is of some help. I just find the phrase to be a profound summary of the warrior life, particularly in referrence to Japanese samurai culture, and was curious if such a saying was commonly written in any Japanese texts similarly to the way it was spoken in the movie, or if it was something unique to the obviously romantized story. Thanks.

-spin

Edit: This is coming from the AnimEigo translated version of Lone Wolf and Cub 3, minute 83, the pre-death conversation between Ogami and Kanbei, if anybody who owns the movie could possibly lend a hand.