View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 08:07 AM   #22
roninja

Dojo: UCO Budo Society/ Eye of the Storm
United_States
Re: Trying to spiritually develop

My good friend in buddhism once told me a story about himself where the point of the story was... to train or develop the spirit one must practice. I agree, cause I have a weak spirit, in Buddhism and the non martial aspects of Aikido, and this is because I have not trained in these things. my spirit on the mat is a lot stronger, but still very weak. of course this may not appear to be the same kind of spirit that you are talking about, but I think it is. But I once heard that the word "spiritual" has latin roots in a word called "spiritos" or something and the word is a verb that literally means "to breathe" and if this is true then the best line of action for developing, spiritually, would be meditation, singing, anything cardiocascular, with the exception of tae bo just kidding, or chanting. but really the martial arts cover this quite well, you have work outs that make you short of breath and you have to yell a lot. these are just my random thoughts. In any way you go about it, you gotta build your curriculum for you, and you gotta, above all else, realize why you are doing and beling the way you are, and if you don't then you should make your spirituality about finding out why. that's my opinion again. Amitabha

僕わ Joseph Dunkin
"Compassion is pure kindness
Wisdom is knowing the truth of dependent origin"
- Ven. Hsing Yun