View Single Post
Old 12-24-2003, 08:10 AM   #11
Michael Karmon
Dojo: Aikido Jerusalem
Re: sitting ducks

Quote:
Ken Sparrow (kensparrow) wrote:
Hi everyone.

A recent thread on atemi sparked a question in my mind. I used to study karate and am still pretty good at pulling a strike at the last instant to only make brushing contact. This is how I try to do my atemi whenever possible. The problem is that some people will let me do this over and over without ever trying to block it!

...am I wrong to do my atemi this way? Should I only do it with people I know can "handle" it or is that as bad as an insincere attack by uke?
Hi ken,

I understnd your dillema. Like, you I did a "punching" art befor Aikido. When Uke does not respond to my Atemi I do one of two.

1. If I think Uke did not see the blow or did not have a chance to react then I give a more "Thatrical" Atemi - Bigger, slower and more visible.

2. If Uke is not respectfull to my Atem because some people do not practice Atemi very well or he is not sure towards the proper Ukemi/reaction then I give him a controlled yet significant blow up to the level of getting his respct and attention.

If someone thinks a punch to the nose or solar plexus is a joke and ignors it when it comes as a practice Atemi then he is a mega-jerk and you are doing him a great favour by demonstrating it's significance.

I had a Kohai sulking at me for months because of a couple of good punches I issued in order to get her attention, today we are best of partners and she has some devastating Atemi's

Eat, Sleep, Exercise and watch out for cars