View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
raul rodrigo
Philippines
Re: Irimi nage- Tenkan to throw?

Quote:
Joe McParland wrote: View Post
If we allow Tissier's "feel free to run into my fist if you want" at 1:01, we can't even say that nage's body position behind uke, or even a characteristic "clothes line" position, is part of the technique.
Actually, even the direct entry irimi nage that Tissier does is still within the bounds of the definition my teacher used. The usual pattern is that one enters to a safe place, where one has united with uke and can move him with no effort, and then does a second irimi to take the head and unbalance him backward (or flip him over, in the more dynamic versions). The safe place is usually right behind him, but in some cases (and in the case of a very skilled tori), it can be beside him. In the case of jodantsuki or a snap kick, tori can be safe even if he hasn't entered very deeply, as long as he is positioned on the outside of the attacking limb. What Tissier does is he compresses the usual two irimi movements into just one: he enters to safety and takes your head in one movement. Fiendishly difficult, but if you awase properly then (I am told) it feels effortless. But that's why he's a 7th dan and I am not.

In a sense, Ozawa is doing something very similar when he does that kiri otoshi in the other clip. He has entered so decisively that there is no need for a second irimi to throw. The physical manifestation is very different, of course, but the principle is the same: enter and take uke's balance.

best,

R

Last edited by raul rodrigo : 06-03-2008 at 11:37 AM.