View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
jss
Netherlands
Re: Poll: How often do you disagree with your aikido instructor's manner of teaching

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote: View Post
Perhaps the question is "How many times do you just not understand the manner of teaching your instructor is using".
This is nothing personal, Andrew, but since you phrase a very common reaction to this problem (see also the poll before the current one), I'll ask you a very direct question: why automatically assume you disagree, because you're too stupid to understand what your teacher is doing/saying?

The main reason I'm asking is because aikido seems to get more cultish every day with teachers being correct in everything they teach, in how they teach, etc., just because they are teachers.

To illustrate: how come that if I want to teach the classical guitar to children, I have to practice 15 years (and for the last 6-7 years at least 1-2 hours a day) and follow classes about how to teach, but when I'd like to teach aikido to just about anyone, 10 years of training (3 times a week) will do most nicely? And do I ever have to demonstrate a thorough grasp of the principles or the history of martial arts and aikido in specific? No! I just need a teacher (who might be as clueless as I am) who likes what my aikido looks like...

Joep

p.s.: Sorry for the rant.