View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Adam Pilipshen
Dojo: Long Island Aikikai
United_States
Re: ukemi

Quote:
Alissa Götzinger wrote: View Post
It depends: in the Aikido I do, techniques like shiho nage and kote gaeshi are supposed to be thrown into a breakfall eventually. Of course you can throw them so that a low fall is possible, but I guess it would be difficult (and potentially dangerous) to attemt one from a "full power" technique...
But I know there are also styles that do not do breakfalls at all, so it's not necessary for aikido as such. But when you're thrown accordingly, you might have to do one. Though no one will throw you like that if they're not sure you can take it...
I just wanted to share an interesting story I heard from someone that was at Hombu Dojo in the early 60's. He was taking Arikawa Sensei's class in which shiho nage was being taught - I have heard Arikawa Sensei's favorite technique was shiho nage. That day he was demonstrating the technique in a way that Uke had to take a high-fall (i.e. the elbow was being leveraged). A few minutes later O'Sensei came on to that mat, took over class, and demonstrated the same technique with the same Uke. The Uke again took a high-fall and was then scolded by O'Sensei. Since I wish to remain respectfull to the image of the late great Arikawa Sensei, let me just say that the Uke was not the only one "critiqued" that day.