Thread: Shodan blah...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #22
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Re: Shodan blah...

Quote:
Robert Cheshire wrote:
However, it is very discouraging to join a dojo and when you start to talk with the senior students find out they have been in the art for several years and have not progressed past ikkyu. They do not have to teach once they become shodan.

While I do not doubt your sincerity I find it a bit pretentious to talk about taking a shodan exam while you are not of yudansha rank. To me, that's like a high school student talking about college level courses s/he hasn't seen or taken yet. I mean this more of a you should experince it rather than "I'm one and your not" or a "look at me I'm a 'x' dan rank."

After reading your post several times - I'm convinced you mean well. I just don't agree with your thoughts or statements on this issue.

I do like the fact you are quick to defend the rights and feelings of another person on this board and hope you will continue to do so.
Yeah, I was actually pretty worried about looking pretentious. I just gave my point of view as a beginner, and that in my experience, I have not been discouraged by seeing people that are not black belts but have practiced for many years. If, from my point of view, seeing people who practiced for many years and are still white belts is not discouraging, and you don't want to or the dojo doesn't need you to teach, then why go for the outward sign of having a rank? I don't see why it's necessary, but maybe that will change as I practice more.
Thank you for responding civilly. I was worried about the responce I'd get by saying that.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith