View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Advice on Aikido and a school/dojo. Help please

It is really hard for me to give you advice about this. You need to sit down and think about what you want out of the style. Do you want to do lots of punches and kicks? If so, then TKD is proabably more for you. What made you decide that 2 years of training in TKD will be sufficient enough to defend yourself? You very well may be able to, but you also may not be able to. Just depends on how you learn. By the way I read your post, I seem to get that you really are leaning towards TKD, but maybe you are posting here in hopes of being swayed to do aikido instead.

Go and physically watch the classes at both places. You may be attracted to one over the other. Or, you may like the way one teaches or think the training atmosphere is better at one place. Maybe you could take a trial period at both places (I wouldn't advocate doing these trial periods at the same time though!) and then see which one feels more "you". Just be honest and up front with the people running the dojo. Just tell them that you aren't really sure if the style is for you or if it is what you are looking for, but that you want to try it out. Most places offer a free first class and then a trial period at a reduced cost.

Good luck.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.