View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
MM
United_States
Re: This Weekend in West Virginia

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Mark, could you describe a bit of how the Roppokai method relates to what you've felt from the others you've mentioned? Do you feel like there's a similar internal aspect?

Thanks.

David
Hmm ... I probably won't get you any answers that you'll like.

Roppokai method. Got just one iota above zilch about Roppokai methods. This was my first intro into them and I got about as much insight as a blind and deaf man in Tokyo during rush hour trying to find another American.

The "others". Dan, Mike, Rob (I usually put them in order that I met them). Again, rank beginner. If you think I know what's going on, ask Budd or Ron about it. I feel like I'm still fumbling around trying to crawl, let alone stand or walk. Here, I might just be blind in Tokyo rush hour, etc.

Do I think there's similarities? Yeah, definitely. Could I quantify them? No, not really. Well, let me backtrack a little. In a manner, I could quantify them. Here's how:

Dan: Great teacher, great guy, definitely suggest training with him.
Mike: Great teacher, great guy, definitely suggest training with him.
Rob: Great teacher, great guy, definitely suggest training with him.
Howard: Great teacher, great guy, definitely suggest training with him.

In the Budo world, if you find top notch guys who are also great teachers, grab them and don't let go. Any one of the above fit that description. You would not regret getting your hands on any of them.

And just like everything else, each person applies his/her skills in a different manner. I think maybe that's why it's sometimes hard to judge from a beginner. I can feel what's being done to me, but I have a hard time feeling what the other person is doing internally to accomplish that task.

Hmm ... here's an example. None of the above had any trouble "double weighting" me. (As a clarification for Mike S., cause I know you'll wonder what I mean -- I mean getting me to put weight in the same hand same foot so that it sort of immobilizes me.) So, while I know that my same side hand/foot are "locked up", I couldn't tell you how they did it internally. I'm too busy being locked up.

Mark