View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #24
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: conditioning routines

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
Seriously though, athletic performance is athletic performance. Aikido only differs from basketball, tennis, football, wrestling, etc... in that same way that any two athletic activities differ. It's clear to me from the things you've said that you haven't studied current science and methods of professional level athletic training near thoroughly enough to be dismissive of them.
Agreed. Athletic performance is simply atheletic performance.
But the fact that Ushiro Kenji can go and give advice to pro-athletes and immediately improve their game is indicative something is lacking I'd think.
None of this stuff is magic.
All of it is based in physics/phsyiology.

and maybe, just maybe it's western physiology/kinesisology that needs to play "catchup".

FWIW, I do think that this stuff has a lot to offer the sports world. Some parts are used in top level athletes, unconsciously, but I don't think there's a set system to train it directly.

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
It seems like there must be some sport or other you could adapt it to, and when you did, if it blows away decades of collective effort by all the world's best athletes and trainers as you claim, there is a fortune waiting for you out there.
You read my mind
It's only been 2.5 years since he started teaching what he's learned. Honestly we're still at the very beginning. But he also knows the need to produce results having been a former internaltion sanda champion himself. Which is why I'm working with the MMA kids now, as well as Ark planning to open a more ring-oriented class to apply these body skills within the ring, and develop fighters of a higher caliber than you currently see.

Btw, this particular training method allowed me to walk into the Axis BJJ acadamy here in Tokyo (Rickson's sattelite school) and tap out blues with a fair amount of ease, despite the fact that I had less than 6 months judo experience 3 years ago in college. Also earned me several tapouts from some purples as well.

Btw, if we do hold a seminar, I'd love for you to drop by (free of charge)
Hooking up with someone with extensive experience in kinsiseology/current sports science is something I've been itching to do for a while now. Besides which the know how provided by the people in that field would only serve to improve the training system once they understand what is being trained, and how it's currently being trained. I'm all for progress

FWIW

Last edited by Upyu : 08-21-2006 at 06:15 PM.