Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #113
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Spiritual Power

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Graham,

Searching for "correct feeling" is like being given a unique and delicious cake, but not the recipe. You're left to try to parse out the nuances of flavor and texture on your own, without a hint (except, maybe "Keep trying to mix stuff together. Do it for 40 years... eventually you'll get the right formula!). If you're worldly and have tasted many different ingredients in your travels, you might be able to figure out some of the contents. But the precise ingredients and process will elude you.

Some people may savor the experience of spending a lifetime trying to figure it out for themselves -- or in a group of people stumbling through the dark together for a lifetime, in search of those "correct feelings" -- but most of us wish for a teacher who knows the way and is willing to show us. I'd take a proffered flashlight over a slog through the dark anyday!

P.S. A little unsolicited, but earnest, advice: Go to London and play! You'll get a recipe for a really killer cake.
Cady. Nice analogy. But maybe limited. Correct feeling is for you to find and acknowledge and live up to in not only different stages of learning but also different aspects of Aikido. It's a valid rule.

If you practice sen no sen for example you will finally reach the correct feeling that goes with that. As I said it's not some high dream state. You can apply it to life and living. You know inside that acting from jealousy or greed or vindictiveness are all incorrect feelings and only lead to trouble. Thus it is a useful principle.

As for your advice? Well I acknowledge it's sincerity. Do I need it?

Regards.G.