View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #34
AsimHanif
Re: What's the Difference in Aikido Practice During 60's Compared to Now?

Agreed Tony. That's why I continue to box and grapple. The training is more dynamic. I did an exercise a few weeks ago- ‘what happens after the pin?' It was quite interesting.
But I don't think this is a 60's vs 2009 issue. There were clearly people not using timing, distance, posture, proper body mechanics then as well as now. There's just MORE of it. So I think we have to seek out what we feel is beneficial to our own personal development and not fall into the ‘style' trap…another way to do ikyo, another way to do nikyo, another way to do tenchi nage, etc.

If you attack in my dojo with yourself exposed, chances are you'll get hit. Not hurt, but hit…made aware. At the same time it's expected that you truly attack appropriately for what's being taught.
On the other hand I have no respect or patience for those who abuse authority. Too many times I've seen highly regarded instructors crank on a pin much more than needed, often times hurting uke. What's more amazing to me are those who come back for more abuse…like it's a privilege to be hurt by such and such instructor.

Tony, with regards to ‘intent'. Someone stated to me just the other night that they don't intend to really hit nage when training. They didn't feel ‘right' trying to hurt someone. They thought aikido was about ‘love and harmony'. Again…to each his own but…I think that is really a telling statement and illustrates your point well.