View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #254
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Knife Randori Videos

In our kaeshi waza video, I believe you will begain to see these things unfolding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02Mkq0yrsE

In the practice we call kaeshi waza, we take a step back from our normal randori. The idea of this practice is to avoid using force to apply or counter technique. It is still a noncooperative practice, everyone is trying to avoid the throw/submission by movement and timing, just not using force. You can see a nice moment of leading and spiraling at 2:40 and 5:28, done non cooperatively, but not full force.

By lessening the pressure, using less force, strength and speed, more “aiki” movement arises. While this type of body being would be the preferred type for randori as well, pressure changes your “ideal” responses. Hopefully we will grow toward doing our randori like we do kaeshi waza, but it’s currently not possible.

It has been my experience that only familiarity with high stress situations can one learn to relax and perform “ideally”. By avoiding high stress attacks, with your attackers using brute force, and aggressive action, your are only prolonging your inability to relax under that type of pressure.

There are two classes at held at central valley Aikido every class night. The first is an hour of straight kihon waza. In this class we rehash what we had learned from the previous nights randori. There we look at the answers that the forms offer to the questions the randori asked. The second hour is spent on randori and free form drills, finding the questions that we will ask of the kihon waza the next class. We have just never put up any video of our kihon practice.