View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Kenji Ushiro Sensei Seminar - May 2008

Ron:

Ushiro Sensei stated that everything evolves from PROPER kata. Sitting Seiza is KATA. When sitting seiza and rei is done correctly, a person can stand on your back with you lifting both hands off of the mat.

I am simply unqualified to accurately describe his movements and katas. Sanchin kata is the first kata that is learned. Sensei stated that this kata (IF DONE PROPERLY), develops kokyu and then ki power within us.

I am simply unqualified to describe the "physical mechanics" to develop and move ki. It starts with proper posture. This might sound easy, but I am still learning proper posture.

I apologize for not being able to "shed some light" on those questions. I do not want to say things about which I am not qualified to comment on. Ushiro Sensei strongly believed that we had to allow our bodies to "experience" these things so that we can learn properly. He stated that conscious thought interfered in the learning process. All I can say is that you really have to experience the training with Ushiro Sensei to believe it. Understanding it is a whole other "ball of wax." I am simply blissfully ignorant. Ignorant, in that I am the most basic of beginners. Blissful, in that I have an opportunity to learn.

Marc Abrams