View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #17
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Meaning of Shisei

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Hey, as long as your students understand whatever you're saying, that's the important thing, isn't it?
Yes.

Lyle - I'll say yes.

I've already posted Tamura Senseis words on shisei. Heres what he says about Kamae.

Cheers

D

• KAMAE

In Budo it is often said:

"It is Kamae which is important."

Kamae is not the sole property of Budo but also belongs to other arts: flowers, calligraphy and tea. In football, boxing and tennis Kamae is equally important. in the Japanese language Kamae means "to prepare oneself' or "to put oneself on guard". The verb "Kamaeru" is translated as "to build", "to construct", "to prepare", "to learn intensively" and "to be on the alert". The Chinese character of Kamae is comprised of the radical "Wood" followed by an element representing a mortice and tenon signifying the indissoluble structure of carpentry. Kamae in Budo is to take the most advantageous position possible in relation to Aite. When armed one finds oneself against an adversary or when two armies are face to face; in all, Kamae is important.

However, Kamae is only translated in this form. It consists simultaneously of the power of Ki and the ability to perceive every detail. In Kendo the Kamae of Kendo; in Judo the Kamae of Judo; in tennis the Kamae of tennis; and in Aikido Hanmi no Kamae (profile guard) is used.

Begin in a good, natural standing position (Shizentai), legs apart at the same width as the shoulders and the left foot forward of the right foot which can pivot: We now have guard on the left, Hidari Hanmi. Alternatively, we have guard on the right, Migi Hanmi.

If the two adversaries take the same guard, the right or left foot in front, we obtain Ai Hanmi no Kamae. If, on the contrary, the two adversaries have an opposite guard, the right foot of one and the left foot of the other forward, it is Gyaku Hanmi no Kamae. Now, if in Hidari Hanmi, the left foot (or in Migi Hanmi the right foot) advances a pace as in irimi and the back foot follows, the big toe in line with the heel and the thumb of the left hand (or right hand) forward, we are in the posture or guard call "Hitoemi" or "Ura Sankaku".

With a sword Migi Hanmi is used. With the Jo or bare hands the left hand guard (Hidari Hanmi) is the basic guard.

Why is Hitoemi the fundamental guard of Aikido?

Because Hitoemi allows easy movement, to face any attacks and to be able to use and assimilate any technique. However, it is necessary to surpass Kamae. True Kamae is no Kamae; to be able to respond to an attack no matter where or what and whatever your position.

O'Sensel says:

"Do not look at the eyes of Aite; the heart is weakened by the eyes of Aite. Do not look at the sword of Aite; the spirit is weakened by the sword of Aite. Do not look at Aite; you absorb the Ki of Aite."

The Bu of truth is the practice seeking to absorb Aite In his totality.

"I stand simply."

I leave this to your thought. Keep it within you.