View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #23
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Soft vs hard (correct?) kote gaeshi?

Quote:
Larry Robinson wrote: View Post
Has anyone experimented with not grabbing the hand or wrist during kotegaeshi, and trying to "throw" uke through mere connection of the palm of your hand to the back of uke's?

During a very flowing active session one day, I had an uke who attacked with quite a bit of intent, and energy. In our dojo, we start Kotegaeshi from a tsuki attack with the right hand by pivoting or tenkan and blending in at or slightly above the elbow with our left hand to uke's right arm.

Normally, at this point many would drop their left hand down to capture uke's right wrist. Since we are now facing the same direction as uke, we apply pressure to uke's elbow creating a kind of arm-bar, giving uke incentive to turn out of the bar by facing us.

At this time, we drop center down taking uke's balance. Uke, is already easy to knock over at this point. As uke attempts to right himself, we cover his right hand with our right rolling his his palm to face him.

As he continues to right himself, we don't raise his hand up, but keep it at about our hara. His attempt to stand straight up puts pressure on his wrist. We then exhale and drop center into the captured wrist which is actually dropping uke's right shoulder, and driving it into the ground.

The amount of twist to the wrist is the amount necessary to affect the shoulder, and overall posture.

Now that all that was poorly described, this is what happened one day. As Uke attacked, I blended, and instead of going the whole arm-bar way, I cut straight down and dropped my center. This immediately, due to the amount gusto of his attack also, nearly caused uke to fall straight down on his face. His right (attacking) arm ended up kid of in between my left arm extending to the ground, and my left leg.
As uke attempted to right himself to stand, I placed my open right palm on the back of his right fist. My right hand is "alive" and I connect to uke by his right fist. As uke begins to straighten himself I maintain extension with my right hand and rotate my fingers around and up to point at the ceiling.

I step back with my left leg, using the point of connection between me and uke as sorrt of a fulcrum point, I flatten my right hand so my fingers are now pointing directly into uke's right shoulder, and my hand is parallel to the ground. Uke's fist is now curled back into his arm proportional to his flexibility. If he is not flexible, there may appear to be no curl to his fist at all, but the connection is still there. The tell is uke's posture, at this point his right shoulder should be lower then his left.

Now I once again exhale and drop center maintaining extension with my right hand. This further drives uke's fist down and into his shoulder driving his shoulder to the ground.

Through all that, I never once grabbed uke, and Uke never really noticed I didn't grab him. I don't rely on a lot of wrist twist in kotegaeshi anyway, so the lack of actual lateral twist he wouldn't have noticed anyway. I'm not saying to perform this technique in this manner as a staple, but I play around with it, and it is interesting. I have done it during tantodori as well with similar results.

Has anyone else experienced this? I say try it and have some fun with it.
It sounds similar to an exercise I did at an Endo-sensei seminar. I have played with something similar. I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing though. It's very different from the sort of thing my Sensei teaches.