View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Where can I find a dojo with an Shihan Instructor?

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
John

Save your money and try to study with TK Chiba Shihan or a student of his.
It is my understanding that Chiba Sensei has retired from teaching at his dojo in California. If you look up his dojo, he is not the head instructor, it is Deena Drake. Chiba Sensei is still teaching at seminars and such, but he has cut back on his schedule dramatically and his intention is to cut back more and more until he fully retires. If you want to train with him, take the opportunity soon and go to a regional seminar or summer camp that he is attending. There is one this summer in Portland, OR.

I agree with the others though that just because someone has a certain title or ethnicity doesn't necessarily make them a better teacher. It just means they have put in the time and have been teaching a certain length of time and run their own dojo. It is similar to shidoin and fukushidoin. You can have those ranks (or higher) and not have those titles. Sure, they are nice, but it doesn't mean their aikido is better. Best of luck.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.