View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
MM
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 21

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Lynn,

Many thanks for the comments. It sometimes surprises me that Kisshomaru Ueshiba's biography of his father is not seen in a proper context (or rather, what I think should be a proper context). This is not to condone the selectivity and inaccuracies, but to acknowledge that Kisshomaru was writing within a certain tradition, which blended history with fiction. John Stevens cheerfully admitted that he was writing hagiography and not straight biography.

I presume that the technical articles you write about psychotherapy are also written according to an acknowledged tradition that is commonly accepted within the profession.

Best wishes,

PAG
Hello Peter,

I think that most people in the U.S. never saw Kisshomaru Ueshiba's biography of his father in the context you presented. To add to that, I doubt most people in the U.S. knew that John Stevens was not writing with complete accuracy but rather writing what he thought they wanted to hear.

After several decades of this, we have a relatively uninformed public with regards to the founder of their art. Entrenched as it is, it will be an uphill battle to get them to understand these things. And when they do, there might be some backlash. U.S. = America = Truth, Justice, and the American Way (Well, except for politicians, lawyers, and CEOs). I think we've seen a bit of it already. In some people's eyes, while spinning a tale might be culturally accepted, it isn't something you do when presenting facts or writing biographies.

If you look to the Michael A. Bellesiles's "Arming America" scandal, you will find that quite a few Americans do not take kindly to these kinds of things. Please note, too, that it was not the professors nor the Universities that brought truth to the masses. Here in the U.S., unfortunately, the higher education system is sometimes not among those wanting truth, but rather publication.

It will be no surprise if the truth comes out about Morihei Ueshiba and people in the U.S. become angry at being deceived. Although, I think that process has started. They will not have the cultural understanding of Japan to know that what Kisshomaru Ueshiba did was acceptable. Your columns will help provide an education where none is currently available. You really didn't retire, you know. You just shifted your students from one University to the world.

Thanks,
Mark