View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #79
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: "Non-Aikido Martial Traditions" Forum

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
In my personal opinion, internal skills are a core requirement for ALL martial art systems regardless of whether they are Japanese, Chinese, Korean, or from elsewhre.
Yes, exactly.

I think it would be useful to be able to have the discussion around the different reasons for how each system/tradition/practice incorporates IP/IS/Whatever into their system. I understand whe some folks aren't discussing details for various reasons, but even elevating the discussion to the layer of "here's where it fits into the foundational work" of the system I practice.

And some folks still won't participate - which is fine. But then there should be enough at least having the discussion to get people thinking about some of the why's and how-to's. That way if people are interested, great, there's a newbie-to-amateur-friendly place for us to hash some things out.

And maybe Non-Aikido Martial Traditions forum is the place to do that, I dunno. Things can continue on like they have, too, that's fine, it'll be what it'll be. I just thin that this segment of aikiweb space has an opportunity to differentiate itself from the "aiki is love" or "my sensei will tell me all I need to know" rubric of discussions (not objecting to them, either, just haven't found them very helpful in dissecting the "how-to's" of IS/IP).

But even keeping the discussion points at how are you training to connect your body as a single unit, while manipulating the natural forces of gravity pulling you down and the ground pushing you up. Those are very useful "single toe in the doorway" concepts that can be an easy gate into the IS/IP discussions (and if you disagree, I'd love to hear why, from a socialization of concepts perspective). So there can still be allowances for keeping the "proprietary" stuff on the down low as folks are likely wont to do.

That way, you can allow the conversations to range from "here's my take" to "here's the only way it can possibly work" and everything i between.

Anyway, dems some thoughts on the matter. Please carry on.