View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #701
MM
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
I think there is great hope for the art. Although I would consider O-Sensei's Aikido to be on the "endangered list" I have hope. If we can bring back the Bison from the brink of extinction we can revive Aikido. But it will be the work of individuals not organizations. I think that large organizations are often the enemies of this effort. Almost everyone I see really making it happen out there are busy looking beyond what their own associations are offering. I don't think it is necessary that this should be so, but I think it is currently.
I would respectfully disagree with you here. This is all IMO. Large organizations are usually run by a handful of people. The organization is not to blame, it is the individuals. Just a few individuals running the organization can change the whole organization.

Let me use an example. If Saotome sensei knew of some exercises that built these baseline skills and he decided to implement them into his organization, do you think the dojo cho would resist him? Or would there be a change? You're higher up in the chain of authority, so I'm guessing you'd know what would happen. I'm low enough that I don't have to deal with the politics yet.

Thanks,
Mark